Sunday, June 2, 2013

Reflections on Vienna

This weekend, I experienced many farewells, a scary taxi ride, a short plane ride, an incredibly long plane ride, a graduation ceremony, and lots of laundry.  After all that, I'm finally back home.

Overall, this May term in Vienna has taught me many things; I have learned an incredible about not only the city, the culture, music history, but about myself as well.

After three weeks of frantic travel, classes, and exploration, I am having a mix of feelings about the ending of this trip.

I have been challenged in may ways. Adjusting to the Viennese culture, Lilo's house rules, and Dr. Reisinger's teaching style were often very difficult for me, more than I expected.  There were definitely days when I wanted out.  I think this trip has made me realize some things about myself that are something to think about, whether induced by travel, being responsible for myself in a new city, or just enduring a totally new experience. That's something with which I'll have to continue struggling.

On the other hand, it is impossible to deny that this trip is one of the best experiences of my life. Having the opportunity to spend so much time in such an important city has been an invaluable experience.  Despite the low points.  I have made memories I will always cherish; I have walked in the footsteps of some of the most composers in history, made friends I will always value, and learned more about both the city and myself than I ever thought I would or could.

I am incredibly grateful for the group of girls with which I have bonded during this month.  These girls,  have blessed me in so many ways; they have truly helped me get through this trip, but made it an incredibly powerful and great learning experience too.  I hope that we will always remain friends, and I hope that we'll even get to travel again together someday :)

I made myself a list my last night in Vienna:

Things I'm regretting:
 - eating gelato while running
 - congestion
 - unexpected halts (and getting ejected) from trams
 - not being able to see everything I wanted to see

Things for which I am very thankful:
 - Chocolate gelato
 - Almdudler
 - Easy subway navigation
 - Mozart, Haydn, Schubert, Beethoven, Bruckner, Brahms, Strauss, and Schönberg
 - Monuments, statues and plaques reminding us of people from the past
 - Good talks with great friends

As a whole, this has been an experience I will never forget.  I'm thankful for the fun times I had, and the learning experiences as well.  I am thankful for the work and encouragement put forward by Doc and by Dr. Reisinger, and for the welcome into Lilo's house.

Thank you all so much for reading this blog!  I hope you have enjoyed my stories.  Please feel free to contact me if you have questions or want to hear more!

Auf wiedersehen (until we meet again)
Kelsey


Allison's picture - thank you!
http://tinyurl.com/k2smcqz

No comments:

Post a Comment