Sunday, June 2, 2013

House of music and Don Quixote (also, scariest walk home ever)

Wednesday, May 29

Today, our second-to-last day of the Vienna May term, was a rough day.

I woke up, and took a later bus to school. I got to the AAIE where all the other students had class.  I worked on my homework, studied, and checked my email for a couple hours.

I set off on my own to the police station to de-register, which was a nice walk.  The de-registering process took very little time, then I headed back to the institute, appreciating the walk.

At noon, the music class students met up to do our final excursion: visiting the House of Music.  The museum was really cool - they have different exhibits based on different composers, like Beethoven, Mozart, Schubert, and a ton of other composers we studied.  The museum is very interactive, with things to listen to, play with, and a game at the end where you could conduct the Vienna Philharmonic orchestra. The museum was a lot of fun, but we spent much of the time arguing about how to take our final. Long story short, there was a time conflict between going to the mass for which Dr. Reisinger was playing and having the full time to take our final.

When we got back to the institute, we spent some time working on homework and studying.  I got a letter from my Dad, which made me feel a whole lot better.

Abigail and I headed to the Staatsoper to get standing room tickets for the ballet, Don Quixote. We spent a lot of time in line talking to a young couple from Australia, Kirstie and Luke. They were in Vienna for just a couple days, one of their many stops on their THREE MONTH tour of Europe!  They told us that they were traveling all over, and that they had jobs waiting for them in the UK whenever they're done traveling.  Abigail and I enjoyed talking to them very much; they were very cute, had lots of stories, excellent accents, and fun to talk to.

The standing room experience at the Staatsoper is crazy - you stand in line forever until you can finally get tickets, then you stand in line for further forever until you can get into the actual theater.  Then they let everyone in at the same time, you run in between the railings and mark your spot with a scarf or a sweater or some other way.  Then you are free to leave and come back before the show begins, and everyone is able to lean on a railing.

Don Quixote was completely amazing!  The show was the first ballet I've ever seen all the way through (other than the Nutcracker), and what an introduction to the ballet world!  The performers were incredible, the musicians were flawless, and we enjoyed every minute.  It was totally a blast, and I loved getting to do it with my buddy Abigail.

The walk home was less fun - we got out of the show late, so I had to walk the last leg of my journey home.  It was already dark, scary, and cold, which was anxiety-inducing enough; however, halfway to Lilo's house, I passed a family with a big black dog that made me even more nervous. I was fine, until the dog began to chase me, at which point I freaked out and ran home. Super fun.  I'm really cool.

Anyway, weird day.  But it was wonderful to get to experience the ballet and the museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment